August 28, 2014 - Hanwha SolarOne Co., Ltd. today reported its unaudited financial results for the three months ended June 30, 2014.
SECOND QUARTER 2014 HIGHLIGHTS
Mr. Seong-woo Nam, Chairman and CEO of Hanwha SolarOne commented, "The second quarter of 2014 showed an increase in shipments and a significant reduction in our net loss position. Our gross margins were driven down by a lower average selling price, reflecting a decreasing proportion of sales from the higher-priced EU market, particularly the UK, and an increasing proportion from the relatively lower priced China market. We maintained our strong position in Japan and began shipments to several newer emerging markets. We continued to maintain tight control over operating expenses."
Chairman Nam noted, "We see a number of positive developments for our business for the remainder of this year, including 1) strong growth in quarterly shipment volumes beginning in the third quarter, driven especially by good visibility in China 2) opportunities for cost reduction due to increased efficiency and improved utilization for our ingot and wafer manufacturing lines, 3) the introduction of new four busbar cell technology, 4) reduced processing costs from decreased use of raw materials 5) increased automation of our production lines and 6) the addition of new cell and module lines. Module manufacturers continue to compete intensely on price and we expect to continue to see decreasing average selling prices near term that make gross margin expansion challenging in the near term."
SECOND QUARTER 2014 RESULTS
Total net revenues were RMB1, 107.3 million (US$178.5 million), a decrease of 2.7% from RMB1,138.4 million in 1Q14, and a decrease of 6.4% from RMB1,182.8 million in 2Q13. The decrease in total net revenues in 2Q14 compared with 1Q14 was primarily due to a lower average selling price. Module processing services accounted for approximately 13% of revenues.
PV module shipments, including module processing services, were 339.5MW, a 4.9% increase from 323.6MW in 1Q14, and a 5.7% increase from 321.2MW in 2Q13.
- The Company once again maintained a strong presence in Japan, representing 53% of module shipments worldwide in 2Q14. The US reversed its position with the UK from the prior quarter to become the second largest market for the Company in the three months ended June 30, 2014. The UK market declined this quarter to account for 9% of total shipments, due to lower demand for utility-scale solar projects after a change in the incentive scheme. Deliveries to Korea and Canada picked up for the Company at 9%, and 7% for this quarter, respectively. This quarter we saw a meaningful rebound in shipments to the China market, representing 6% of the 339.5MW of modules shipped. We continue to see momentum building in the China market and expect strong demand in the second half of the year. The Company continues to penetrate new emerging markets, with Turkey being the Company's newest market. The Company increased the shipment of PV modules to 23 countries during 2Q14, including a number of notable new markets. Shipments to Europe and Africa (EA) contributed 12% to total module shipments, Asia Pacific (AP) accounted for 70% and North America (NA) 18%.
- The average selling price of modules, excluding module processing services, decreased to RMB4.17 per watt (US$0.67), from RMB4.27 per watt in 1Q14 and increased from RMB4.03 per watt in 2Q13. This is primarily attributable to a greater percentage of business in China which is a lower price market and to a decline in volume to the UK which is comparatively a higher priced market.
- Gross profit in 2Q14 was RMB105.1 million (US$16.9 million), compared with a gross profit of RMB158.1 million in 1Q14 and a gross profit of RMB65.3 million in 2Q13. The decrease in gross profit in 2Q14 was primarily due to lower revenues due to declining average selling price.
- Gross margin was positive 9.5%, compared with positive 13.9% in 1Q14 and positive 5.5% in 2Q13.
- The blended cost of goods sold ("COGS") per watt, excluding module processing services, was US$0.59, representing no change from 1Q14. The blended COGS takes into account the production cost (silicon and non-silicon) using internally sourced wafers, and purchase costs and additional processing costs of externally sourced wafers and cells.
- Operating loss in 2Q14 was RMB39.9 million (US$6.4 million), compared with an operating profit of RMB21.9 million in 1Q14 and an operating loss of RMB122.1 million in 2Q13. Operating margin decreased to negative 3.6% from positive 1.9% in 1Q14 and increased from negative 10.3% in 2Q13.
- Operating expenses as a percentage of total net revenues were 13.1% in 2Q14, compared with 12.0% in 1Q14 and 15.8% in 2Q13. The Company continues to maintain tight operating expense control.
- Interest expense was RMB88.4 million (US$14.2 million), compared with RMB89.0 million in 1Q14 and RMB73.3 million in 2Q13.
- The Company recorded a net gain of RMB37.3 million (US$6.0 million), which included a foreign exchange gain and a loss from the change in fair value of derivatives in hedging activities. The Company recorded a net loss of RMB72.7 million in 1Q14 and a net gain of RMB47.2 million in 2Q13 for the foreign exchange gain/loss and the gain/loss from change in fair value of derivatives in hedging activities.
- Gain from the change in fair value of the conversion feature of the Company's convertible bonds was RMB3.4 million (US$0.6 million), compared with a loss of RMB0.3 million in 1Q14 and a loss of RMB11.3million in 2Q13. This line item has fluctuated, and is expected to continue to fluctuate quarter-to-quarter, primarily based on changes in the Company's ADS price. The Company has no direct control over the fluctuations.
- Net loss attributable to shareholders on a non-GAAP basis was RMB54.0 million (US$8.7 million), compared with a net loss attributable to shareholders of RMB98.8 million in 1Q14 and a net loss attributable to shareholders of RMB130.0 million in 2Q13.
- Net loss per basic ADS on a non-GAAP basis was RMB0.59 (US$0.10), compared with net loss per basic ADS on a non-GAAP basis of RMB1.09 in 1Q14 and net loss per basic ADS on a non-GAAP basis of RMB1.54 in 2Q13.
- Net loss attributable to shareholders on a GAAP basis was RMB54.8 million (US$8.8 million), compared with net loss attributable to shareholders of RMB133.4 million in 1Q14 and net loss attributable to shareholders of RMB166.0 million in 2Q13.
- Net loss per basic ADS on a GAAP basis was RMB0.60 (US$0.10), compared with net loss per basic ADS of RMB1.47 in 1Q14 and net loss per basic ADS of RMB1.96 in 2Q13.
- Annualized ROE on a non-GAAP basis was negative 13.6% in 2Q14, compared with negative 24.6% in 1Q14 and negative 25.1% in 2Q13.
- Annualized ROE on a GAAP basis was negative 11.9% in 2Q14, compared with negative 28.4% in 1Q14 and negative 27.2% in 2Q13.
As of June 30 2014, the Company had cash and cash equivalents of RMB981.5 million (US$158.2 million) and net working capital of negative RMB1,204.7 million (US$194.2 million), compared with cash and cash equivalents of RMB1,078.6 million and net working capital of RMB140.1 million as of March 31, 2014. The decline in net working capital results from the reclassification of a term loan from a long term to a short term liability. Total short-term bank borrowings (including the current portion of long-term bank borrowings) were RMB2, 918.8 million (US$470.5 million) as of June 30, 2014, compared with RMB1, 519.5 million as of March 31, 2014. As of June 30, 2014 the Company's convertible bonds were classified as a current liability and totaled RMB462.1 million (US$74.5 million). Holders of the convertible bonds have the option to require the Company to redeem the notes on January 15, 2015. The Company has from time to time been buying back its convertible bonds since January 1, 2012. The Company has repurchased convertible bonds to the value of approximately US$86.4 million out of US$172.5 million in face value as of June 30, 2014. As of June 30, 2014, the Company had total long-term debt of RMB1, 619.4 million (US$261.0 million), which is comprised of long-term bank borrowings and long-term notes. The Company's long-term bank borrowings are to be repaid in installments until their maturities ranging from 1 to 3 years. The Company's long-term notes are to be repaid in 2 years.
Net cash provided in operating activities in 2Q14 was RMB130.6 million (US$21.0 million), compared with net cash used in operating activities of RMB209.5 million in 1Q14 and net cash provided in operating activities of RMB497.7 million in 2Q13. As of June 30, 2014, accounts receivable were RMB641.0 million (US$103.3 million), compared with RMB824.5 million as of March 31, 2014 and RMB1, 163.6 million as of June 30, 2013. Days sales outstanding ("DSO") were unchanged in 2Q14 from 1Q14 at 116 days in and decreased from 124 days in 2Q13. As of June 30, 2014, inventories increased to RMB852.9 million (US$137.5 million) from RMB779.6 million as of March 31, 2014 and RMB686.6 million as of June 30, 2013. Day's inventory was 73 days in 2Q14 compared with 70 days in 1Q14 and 59 days in 2Q13.
Capital expenditures were RMB84.6 million (US$13.6 million) in 2Q14.
As of June 30, 2014, the Company had production capacity of 800MW for ingot and wafer, 1.3GW for cell and 1.5GW for module. The Company is aiming to expand cell and module capacities to at least 1.5GW and 2.0GW, respectively, by the end of 2014.
The Company provides the following guidance based on current operating trends and market conditions.
For the third quarter 2014 the Company expects:
- Module shipments of approximately 400MW
For the full year 2014, the Company expects:
- Module shipments between 1.5 - 1.6GW of which about 25-30% will be for PV module processing services
- Capital expenditures of $80 million largely for automation of existing manufacturing lines, as well as, cell module capacity expansions to at least 1.5GW and 2.0GW respectively